Re: [CH] stinging nettles

Charles Demas (demas@sunspot.tiac.net)
Wed, 9 Jun 1999 10:29:34 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 9 Jun 1999 saundrah@mindspring.com wrote:

> After being brushed by one of the stinging nettles, I can see where you
> would forget about your arthritis if you hit yourself with a handful.
>
> i've also heard of Stinging nettles helping arthritis.  There is a
> practice I believe in Japan, of grabbing a number of stalks of stinging
> nettles and lightly hitting the affected area of arthritis, say the
> shoulder, the knee, whatever, and after the initial reaction (dermatitally)
> goes away, the chemical composition relieves the pain of arthritis for a
> few weeks.  I dunno if it's true or not, and as I don't have arthritis am
> unwilling to try.......

Those suffering with arthritis are willing to try anything.

My grandfather suffered, and he was willing to try anything, copper
bracelets, etc.  He found that he got relief after a week or two by taking
heavy doses of B complex vitamins.

It's hard to judge how effective this is, but it was worked for others
with bursitis and arthritis like symptoms.  At least it doesn't hurt
to take these vitamins in high doses as the body will just excrete what
isn't needed, at least that's my understanding as a non-doctor.

I just thought I'd pass along what is for me an  "old family remedy."

Chuck Demas
Needham, Mass.

  Eat Healthy    |   _ _   | Nothing would be done at all,
  Stay Fit       |   @ @   | If a man waited to do it so well,
  Die Anyway     |    v    | That no one could find fault with it.
  demas@tiac.net |  \___/  | http://www.tiac.net/users/demas