Re: [CH] Chilis in Africa 2

baizall@ix.netcom.com
Fri, 18 Jun 1999 22:03:51 +0000

Tantrika wrote:

> oh, I know it was possible and I agree that Columbus wasn't the first here,
> because obviously the Native Americans were here first and they had to come
> from somewhere... ;)  And, ya, I've even read America B.C., and have heard
> the tales of Quetzecoatl and Ericson, and the Phoenicians, and the Druids,
> and the Atlanteans and the Aliens in North  and South America, etc, ad
> nauseum,  but I think my original point is still being overlooked.  What
> evidence is there of pepper cultivars existing in Africa and Europe pre -
> Columbus?  There would still have to be some evidence of that to make the
> conclusion Hromnik is making.  Which would also put the *real* origin of
> Capsicum plants in question, in fact.  Where did the pepper *really* start
> then indeed!
>
> I don't believe it was just because of the Nina, Pinta and Santa Maria
> either, but don't forget the Portuguese settled in the area where a lot of
> varieties were and they had colonies in Asia as well.  And just because
> other people (beings?) may have been here other than Native Americans
> before Columbus, doesn't 1. mean they traveled down to the areas that the
> peppers existed, 2. were exposed to them or 3. took them back.

Hey, maybe the burning bush was actually a now extinct pepper plant and
in their hunger the wandering tribes simply ate them all. Since the bush
wasn't around anymore, future generations thought that the originators
of the story meant "flaming" instead of just "oh my, this burns my
tongue".

Hey , maybe I'm just a kook.  :-)