Re: [CH] peanut butter?

Buffalo Sue (bflosue@earthlink.net)
Sat, 19 Jun 1999 00:53:30 -0500

Everyone I have made this for LOVES this recipe for an
Indonesian-style chile-peanut sauce.  It's from "The
Whole Chile Pepper Book" by Dave DeWitt and Nancy Gerlach,
page 286.

It is used as a satay sauce over thinly sliced meats that
are grilled on skewers.  I simply use it as a dip for raw
veggies.  It's also good added to a stir fry.

I always double the recipe.  If I'm making it for non-CH's,
I use MUCH LESS chiles  :-)

3 tablespoons dried, crushed Piquin chiles, seeds included
4 scallions, chopped, white part only
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh ginger
1 tablespoon peanut oil
1 cup chicken broth (can use veggie broth or water)
1 tablespoon soy sauce
2 teaspoons dark brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1 tablespoon lime juice
1/2 cup crunchy peanut butter

Saute scallions, garlic, and ginger in the oil for 3 - 4
minutes until soft and transparent, but not browned.
Add stock and bring to a boil.  Reduce heat and stir in
remaining ingredients.  Simmer the sauce, uncovered, for
10 - 15 minutes until thickened.

Makes 1 - 1 1/2 cups.  Heat scale 8.

--

Buffalo Sue