[CH] RE: bread dip danger

Kit Anderson (kitridge@bigfoot.com)
Wed, 30 Jun 1999 17:48:38 -0400

> Date: Mon, 28 Jun 1999 22:56:41 -0400
> From: yoda <yoda@clark.net>
> Subject: [CH] Re:
>
> I do this year round; in a small jar on the stove,
> I put 2 oz olive oil, 1 oz of whirl ( liquid fake butter )
> 1 t dried garlic
> 1/4 tsp dried hab ( jims apple smoked is great )
> 1/2 tsp dried home mix ( dried homegrown datils, serranos, and
> jalapeno                        in about equal amounts)
> 1 tsp dried basil
>
> mix well and let stand for couple of days, then dip your bread and
> toast, biscuits, fingers,  - tastes great IMHO

Can you spell botulism? Just because you havn't died yet doesn't mean
this recipe isn't dangerous. If you starin out al the vegetable matter,
you will be OK.

This is from the FDA- http://vm.cfsan.fda.gov/~mow/chap2.html

A bottled chopped garlic-in-oil mix was responsible for three cases of
botulism in Kingston, N.Y. Two men and a woman were hospitalized with
botulism after consuming a chopped garlic-in-oil mix that had been used
in a spread for
garlic bread. The bottled chopped garlic relied solely on refrigeration
ensure safety and did not contain any additional antibotulinal additives
or barriers. The FDA
has ordered companies to stop making the product and to withdraw from
the market any
garlic-in-oil mix which does not include microbial inhibitors or
acidifying agents and
does not require refrigeration forsafety.

And from the ChileHead's Archive
http://neptune.netimages.com/~chile/botulism.html

Scary, isn't it?
--