Microwaving Chiles (was Re: [CH] Can you spell botulism?)

Donald R Jordan (drjordan@rocketmail.com)
Thu, 1 Jul 1999 08:38:03 -0700 (PDT)

I strongly advise against microwaving hot chiles, but for a different
reason.  The essential oils in the chiles (i.e., capsaicin) tend to
vaporize at a lower temperature than water, therefore before you know
it, you can have an invisible cloud of pure cap vapor in the kitchen.
This is not near as much fun on the lungs and eyes as it is on the
tongue.

Obviously, this is only a problem with hotter chiles, but I learned it
first hand trying to dehydrate some chile piquins.  Can you say
chemical pneumonia?

===
-DrJ-
Helotes, Texas