Re: [CH] Pulled Pork?

=Mark (mstevens@exit109.com)
Mon, 05 Jul 1999 12:25:43 -0400

At 05:50 PM 7/5/99 +0200, Kristofer Blennow wrote:
>Ahem... *blushing*
>
>Would someone please explain the procedure of "pulling"? I can guess,
>but I would like to know.

After a pork roast has been smoked at 240 to 250 degrees for 7 to 12 hours
(depending on size) it is pulled off the pit and allowed to "rest" for a
half to a whole hour.

By this time most of the fat has rendered off and the connective tissue has
broken down.  At this point it is practically falling off the bone.  You
can then take a couple of forks (I used plastic ones to demonstrate the
tenderness) and shred the pork apart, removing any bits of fat that are
still present.  This can also be done by using your bare hands.

The resulting "Pulled" pork is served as is or on a hamburger bun topped
with slaw.  There are debates as to sauce it or not, I opted not to for
this first run.

Photos of the process are at:

http://www.exit109.com/~mstevens/butt/

                    =Mark "Runs With Scissors" Stevens