Re: [CH] Sluggin' it out with them $#0*## Slugs..

green56 (green56@PioneerPlanet.infi.net)
Mon, 05 Jul 1999 15:04:16 -0500

Joe Arditi wrote:
> ..."Traps" made of stale beer works best to attract the slugs and then they drown in the beer.

What a waste o'good beer! <g>

> You can also spread very coarse sand around the base of plants.  The
> slugs dislike crossing this.

Sounds better'un more organic than shingles, to me.  Plus, over the
year(s) the sand will be worked into the soil.  Unless your ground izz
very sandy, I would think what little sand you use would be beneficial.
Would open the soil up.  Chiles should like it, as well as all the udder
stuff we grow to to w/the chiles.

> As I pointed out in a recent post I like to use coffee grounds and
> eggshells for fertilizers and soil builders. The eggshells ground up
> are also excellent as a slug deterrent spread around the base of > susceptible plants.

Again, much more *organic* to me than shingles.  'Sides, improves soil!
<g>  I've a bucket outside the back door that all egg shells, 'grounds,
lettuce/onions/berries, etc., etc go into and then get spread in the
garden.  My belief izz "Take what you need from the garden, and give
some of the garden back."

I've been fortunate.  I've not had a prob w/slugs.  And while I'm not an
organic gardener - use fertilizer when warrented, bug spray if needed
and the spirit moves me prior to all the plants gettin' et...  <g>  I
just cannot go with the idea o'shingles.  You all have done some
xcellent research here, taught me much on what shingles are now made of
vs. the asbestos they used to be made of...  But bottomline, in my mind,
they are a man-made product - made outta ISHY stuff - and I just can't
bring myself to even think o'putting them in my garden, let alone a
garden that's called "organic."

You that can rest easy with this, good!  To each their own.  Yust wanted
to opine on my own behalf as some were pondering my thinking.

Please no flames; don't beat up on me.  If it works for YOU, you GO!  I
just can't do it!  <g>

green