Re: [CH] 4th Dinner (Recipes) Long!

green56 (green56@PioneerPlanet.infi.net)
Mon, 05 Jul 1999 15:49:46 -0500

Dave Drum wrote:

> Yum! Looks good. Did you do anything special to the wilted lettuce or
> the corn? I know how to make those pretty well. 'Specially when you
> put chipotle butter on your ear of corn.....  sluuuuurp.
>
> Don' never worry about posting chile oriented recipes here. No matter
> how the AR Net Kop wannbes gripe there are more of us who like the
> recipes than don't. Eating chiles is part of being a chile head
> whether they want to admit it or not.  <GGG>

Well...  I already sent Tom/TX my recipes...  I'll post them here in two
diffurunt posts...

But only the Chops recipe has any kind'a chile in it...  But, know
what?  They're (lettuce/corn recipes) WORTH getting crabbed at if folks
don't like it, cuz they went SO WELL with the Chops.  Very xcellent
blending.  Was like a gourmet restaraunt in my own back yard!  I
impressed the hell outta myself!  <g>

Funny about the chipolte butter, Dave!  LOL!  In my post to Tom, said
sumpin' like, "You know, this corn would be great w/some chipolte powder
on it - warm and smokey, but not hot."

GREAT 'Heads sweat and drool alike!

This is a VERY loose recipe, so you may have to ponder and rewrite...
Ittiz all outta my head, like what I learned growing up.  Here goes:

"green's Wilted Lettuce"

A bunch - as much as you want - lettuce from garden (I'm growing
mescalum...  so was mixed), washed and cleaned.  You will need many cups
as the greens get 'small' when wilted...  Know what I mean?

One bunch green onions, with lots of greens left on, sliced fairly thin,
or thick, or medium - whatever.  Mix with lettuce/greens.

Fry up some bacon - as much or as little as you want, but will need
enuff to make a goodly amount of grease (I used about 7 or so thick
slabbed, smoked strips) - until very crisp.  Remove and drain and
crumble.  Save bacon grease.

Red wine vinegar

Sugar

MINUTES before serving, get bacon grease medium hot, add red wine
vinegar to taste, some sugar - again to taste (not a lot, but some,
couple finger pinches) - and stir.

Pour over greens to coat/lightly wilt, toss quickly, add crumbled bacon
and serve IMMEDIATELY.

Salt/course ground pepper optional at table.

Note:  The idea here is to make an oil (bacon grease - can't beat THAT
with a stick!!!) and vinegar dressing.  Not so much the greens get
soggy, but enuff to lightly coat/wilt (hot grease).

The above is the BASIC recipe.  I had a bunch o'cilantro in 'frig, so
tore that up and put in.  It was PURE HEAVEN!!!

Any all greens can be used.  Let me tell you, spinach this way izz even
better!  If you use head lettuce, just tear into medium sized pieces.
Got some chard?  Collards?  Whatever.  Use them.  Mix
lettuce/spinach/chard/collards.  Do only spinach; do only collards.

Do whatever you want!  You will never be disappointed.

Please enjoy and let me know:

1) how you liked it

2) your own personal little tweaks

Thanks!