Re: [CH] books on Smoking

green56 (green56@PioneerPlanet.infi.net)
Wed, 07 Jul 1999 08:07:22 -0500

Tantrika wrote:

> All these folks have recently talked about books on smoking various stuff.
> What is a good recipe/instruction book on smoking?  We are planning on
> getting a smoker next week.

Well...  I've Phillip Stepehen Schulz' book 'Cooking With Fire and
Smoke" and just love it!

When I first got my smoker (Brinkmann's 'Grourmet' Smoker - the green
one!  LOL!), I cruised the 'Net for smoking recipes and they are few and
far between.  Grilling (quick cooking) is currently more popular, but
smoking is gradually gaining hold as more folks learn about it.

Enjoy your smoker!  Ittiz an art, let me tell you!  Gotta have patience
(I'm developing *some*....) and learn to cook in an entirely different
way.

Can't wait until the jalapenos are coming in!  I've read that the
smoking of chipoles in Mexico is a well guarded secret, but that its
been found they're smoked over peat (read some place on 'Net; can't
remember source).  Well, I'm gonna try smoking some on hickory, unless
someone can guide me to a better wood - or... Can you buy peat for
smoking??????  I've NO IDEA what I'm doing or how this will turn out,
but I'm gonna try it!

I'm looking forward to the answers/recipes you receive...  Since I'm a
*green*horn at thiz smoker/smoking thing, too!

green