Re: [CH] Plants That Repel Animals

green56 (green56@PioneerPlanet.infi.net)
Tue, 13 Jul 1999 22:02:35 -0500

Vikki wrote:

> One way to protect any plant is to plant marigolds around
> whatever you're protecting.  Marigolds have
> another benefit in that they are supposed to help with insect control
> around veggie plants too.

And they're eatible!  Nice in salads and as garnish!

> Another method we use is that my husband urinates in an empty mayonnaise
> jar throughout the day, and in the late evening, when no one can see him
> carrying around a jar of pee, he pours it around the border of the
> plants (not on the plants, around them) and those are the nights the
> deer haven't visited.  When they have visited is when we haven't done
> the urine trick for a week or if it had just rained.

And yust annuder reason to get the SO here!!!  While we're in-city (tho
deer have trucked thru the neighbor-across-the-street's backyard...) we
do have 'coons...  And "Jack" (Rabbit) that has taken up residence unner
the porch (I bought him rabbit pellets, but he'll have none of it.
Holds out for the carrots my 80+ neighbor leaves for him.  <g>)  But no
deer...

HOWEVER... One can never be too cautious, can they?  Annuder reason to
have a man around the house, besides all the "honey-do's" that need to
be done.  While *I* could handle the situation myself, seems the SO
could handle it better....

A DEFINITE positive for having a man!  "Honey, could you please *water*
the peppers/cilantro/tomatoes/basil/etc.'s sos the anjamuls don't devour
everything?  PPPPPPAAAAALLLLLEEEEZZZZ?"

I LOVE IT!  <g>

green