Re: [CH] Newbie with super chili pepper ?

danceswithcarp (dcombs@bloomington.in.us)
Wed, 14 Jul 1999 00:38:36 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 13 Jul 1999, Vikki wrote:

> This is our first year growing chili peppers (it says super chili, not
> chile, on the tag that came with the peppers, so I'm not misspelling it
> on purpose).  Does anyone know a recipe for a good sauce I can make
> using super chilis and Roma tomatoes?  Or just super chilis and
> anything?

The super-chile is about heat, not taste. I add it to pickled anything;
cucumbers, peppers, or green tomatoes-- a couple will give moderate heat
to any sweet or dill pickle.  But what we do most with it is make
super-chile powder.  They'll ripen and dry on their own but we use a
dehydrater.  At some point you need to try to get rid of the seeds. If you
dehydrate all you have to do is pick one up and sort of crush it at the
stem end; the seeds just pop out.  The powder wirks on anything you need
heat on from salads to steak.  Without seeds the powder may hit an 8. With
seeds maybe a 6.  We have 12 super-chiles and 12 regular greenhouse
"chiles" this year.  Pure cooking heat can be boughten cheaper, but HEY?.
This is what you grew.

Pick when the peppers are still bright green but have matured and let
ripen while the plant makes more.

Forbiddensteak.  Hmmm-youummmmmm.

carp