Re: [CH] Newbie with super chili pepper ?

Calvin Donaghey (gdonaghey@bitstreet.com)
Wed, 14 Jul 1999 09:01:27 -0500

Vikki-
'Never done a sauce, but you can make an excellent powder spice mix with
Supers:
10 supers, vine ripened, cut up, dehydrated at low heat until crispy (watch
to keep from carmelizing- they get crispy while maintaining bright red
color, carmelizing causes darkening)
About 4-5 Romas, vine ripe, thin sliced and dehydrated
1/2 tsp ground dried Rosemary
1 small onion, chopped and dehydrated to dry
2 garlic cloves, grated and dried or dehydrated
1/2 tsp thyme
1 tsp ground coriander (cilantro) seeds
1 Tbs dried Tarragon flakes
1 handful celery top parts (just leaves and small top stems)
1 Tbs crushed dried Basil
1/2 lemon, peel and all, sliced and dehydrated
Salt if desired

Dehydrate onion, garlic, lemon, celery, and Romas together.  When fully
dried, add all ingredients to a blender or hand grinder and pulverize to a
powder.  The finer the powder, the more intense the flavors are.  Keep in
sealable bottle in fridge or freezer, return to room temp. before opening.
It's good, colorful, healthy, and easy if you have a small dehydrator.  The
tartness of Super Chiles goes well in the mix, IMO.
Calvin