Re: [CH] Re: deer repellent plants

Charles Demas (demas@sunspot.tiac.net)
Sat, 17 Jul 1999 14:39:20 -0400 (EDT)

On Sat, 17 Jul 1999, Babs Woods wrote:

> I laid out some bird seed to
> attract the chipmunks who are driving me mad near one of my windows and
> sprayed this stuff on it.  I don't know what they think of it, but the
> squirrel I watched eating every last seed absolutely loved it.  [Sigh.]  I
> now know it doesn't repel squirrels.  I'm considering a howitzer.

Have you tried some cheap ground cayanne mixed with the birdseed?
I've found 4 oz containers of cayanne at craft shops for a dollar.
I think the brand is Spice World or the like.  Not great spice, but it's
cheap. :-)

I'd suggest some ground savina habanero, but it's a pricier solution.

I saw this used on a PBS show at 6AM or so this morning to control
mice in an aviary.  Solved their problem.  Don't know what pepper
they used.

As the PBS show was about chiles, it was pretty interesting, and no doubt
will repeat again sometime.

Chuck Demas
Needham, Mass.

  Eat Healthy    |   _ _   | Nothing would be done at all,
  Stay Fit       |   @ @   | If a man waited to do it so well,
  Die Anyway     |    v    | That no one could find fault with it.
  demas@tiac.net |  \___/  | http://www.tiac.net/users/demas