Re: [CH] unlurking

danceswithcarp (dcombs@bloomington.in.us)
Tue, 20 Jul 1999 10:24:56 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 19 Jul 1999, David Cook wrote:

> Bratwurst, but not as is found in Germany. They are coarsely ground pork
> or beef and seasoned with pepper, coriander, mustard, etc. They're
> usually about the size of polish sausage (or of bangers I've seen here
> in the US). The only really good ones come from Wisconson -- at least in
> the US. The proper way to cook them is to boil them in beer and onions
> and then finish them off on the grill. Normally they get served with
> grilled onions, mustard and the like, but I'd go for Power brats, for
> sure.

Since I've given up fats and carbohydrates--except for beer--the local
Marsh Supermarket meat manager has agreed to make turkey brats for me.
I've got to order them in 10lb. lots since they have to do a special
order.   Something about the high bacteria counts that turkey gets if
ground twice.   They won't be real, but they'll taste close.  We cook
brats and serve them simlar to Wisconsin style except we add steamed bell
peppers and store bought anaheims.  Doesn't everything require heat?

Tim Allen, before he got famous, had a good standup routine on The Great
Chefs Of Germany:  "If it's not in an animal casing, we won't cook it."

Sounds like a motto to die for.

carp