Re: [CH] unlurking

David Cook (zeb@austin.rr.com)
Mon, 19 Jul 1999 21:58:52 -0500

Ron Hill wrote:

> Hi Alan & all,
> Pardon the iggerance of this Limey but what are Brats?
> Your son's recipe sounds good, but probably needs
> Brats to finish it off?

Bratwurst, but not as is found in Germany. They are coarsely ground pork
or beef and seasoned with pepper, coriander, mustard, etc. They're
usually about the size of polish sausage (or of bangers I've seen here
in the US). The only really good ones come from Wisconson -- at least in
the US. The proper way to cook them is to boil them in beer and onions
and then finish them off on the grill. Normally they get served with
grilled onions, mustard and the like, but I'd go for Power brats, for
sure.

Sorry about the info dump, but after living away from Wisconson too long
-- where brats are practically religion -- the mere mention makes me
practically salivate.

David Cook