RE: [CH] Re: Mezzetta olives

Goslowsky, George (gjgoslow@ingr.com)
Fri, 23 Jul 1999 11:22:37 -0500

I probably have posted this recipe before, but I could not find any
reference to it in the CH archives, so I will post it again.  This is a
recipe that I have used for years now.  Every time she comes home from
college for a visit my oldest daughter asks me to make several jars for her
to take back with her.  They never last more than a week.

Habanero Olives

1 jar	Cannonball olives, pitted and stuffed with pimento
6 - 8 	fresh habaneros
2 tbsp.	minced garlic
1 tbsp.	Thai chile paste (optional)

Strain the brine from the olives and reserve it.  Remove each pimento from
each olive.  I use the blunt end of a bamboo skewer, but any way you do it,
it is going to be labor intensive.  Cut habaneros into rings about 1/4" in
width.  Fold the rings and insert into the olives.  Pack the olives back
into the jar.  Add the garlic and Thai chile paste to the brine and pour
back into the jar with the olives.  If you can wait, allow this to 'cure'
for about a week in the refrigerator.  It is really very simple and you
could almost say that it isn't a recipe, but rather a technique, but there
it is for whoever wants it.

This recipe is new.  Something that I tried with my youngest daughter
assisting.  I think it turned out pretty good.  Since I was adlibbing, the
amounts of the ingredients are just guessed at, but since most of y'all are
good cooks, this shouldn't be a problem.  This is definitely not a low-fat
recipe either.

Chile Alfredo and Pasta

1-1/2 cup	Penne pasta (or whatever you like best)

Sauce -------------------------------------------------

1/2 cup		butter or margarine
1/2 cup		flour
1/2 cup		sour cream
1 cup		whole milk
1 cup		shredded Jarlsberg Swiss cheese
1/2 cup		brie cheese
1/2 tsp.		ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp.		white pepper

Stock preparations -------------------------------

2 tbsp.		chile oil
1/2 cup		chopped onion
1/4 cup		minced garlic
1/2 cup		chopped tomato
1/4 cup each	fresh, minced jalapeno, Thai, cayenne, habanero and hot
yellow wax chiles
1 cup		fresh chicken stock

Prepare pasta in regular fashion.  In a heavy skillet, heat oil and saute'
onion, garlic and chiles until soft.  Add tomatoes and chicken stock.  Bring
to a boil and allow to reduce to about half.  Strain and reserve both the
stock and the veggies.  In a sauce pan, melt the butter, then added flour
until butter has been absorbed and the flour makes a paste.  Transfer paste
to the skillet used for the veggies and add sour cream, milk and reserved
veggie stock.  Simmer until it begins to thicken.  Add cheese, continually
stirring to allow even melting.  Add nutmeg, white pepper and about 1/4 cup
of reserved sauteed veggies and continue to simmer until it forms a thick
cream.  Pour over the pasta and enjoy.

My daughter and I loved this.  I hope that some of y'all will too.

George J. Goslowsky
Senior Software Analyst
Intergraph, Corp.

I am made of the dust of stars and the oceans flow in my veins