[CH] [Fwd: Chiles de Arbol]

Ron Hay (ronhay@pacbell.net)
Mon, 02 Aug 1999 07:55:43 -0700

--------------20DC9AEC84ACB105721DA25F

Date: Mon, 02 Aug 1999 07:46:42 -0700
From: Ron Hay <ronhay@pacbell.net>
To: chile-heads@globalgarden.com
Subject: Chiles de Arbol

Good morning, Risa

One way I have learned to use chiles de arbol is as a finishing touch in
wonderful Mexican Cowboy Beans, such as the vaqueros make/made, as found
in that wonderful Mexican cookbook I have quoted so often online before,
_Cocina de la Familia_ which is now a July selection in the Book of the
Month Club's Cookbook Club.

Take about 3 cups of beans, clean them up. Put them in a large pot,
without soaking, covering them with water that is "2 knuckles above the
surface of the beans." Put half a white onion in the beans, and drizzle
a bit of oil on the water (keeps them from foaming). Bring them to a
boil, then cook them at at medium low for an hour to an hour and a half.
At that point, add a sprig of epazote (mine grew to almost 6'...it is
now at eye level with me and in flower), the other half of the white
onion, chopped, and some salt. Cook about another 45 minutes until
softish.

Take 6oz of chorizo, sautee it for about 15 minutes,  and then add the
chopped onion. Sautee until the onion is soft and the chorizo starting
to crisp. Drain the onion and chorizo on thick paper towels. Chop two
good-sized tomatoes and sautee them in the onion/chorizo dripping
mixture for about 3 minutes. Put the onions, chorizo, and tomatoes into
the bean pot and cook for about 20 minutes. Then add 5 whole chiles de
arbol to finish it off. You need to keep the beans moist, and you can
add some beer, water or wine (we used some chianti last night) at this
point.

We serve them with mounds of tomatoes, cilantro, chopped onion, and lots
of queso cotijo (grated) or grated queso anejo, and tortillas.  These
beans are a meal in themselves, and worth of an Aztec emperor :) Enjoy!

Ron,
Van Nuys,
CA

--------------20DC9AEC84ACB105721DA25F--