Re: [CH] Red Jalapenos?

Akiva Kotler (akiva@barak-online.net)
Mon, 9 Aug 1999 21:13:22 +0300

----- Original Message -----
From: Jason <gibman@mindspring.com>
To: <chile-heads@globalgarden.com>
Sent: Monday, August 09, 1999 7:56 PM
Subject: [CH] Red Jalapenos?

> Hello All!
>
>     I took off this weekend for a trip, and upon coming home last night
went
> quickly out to water the plants.  Before I left I noticed one of my
> Jalapenos looked as though it had a red tip... in the commotion to leave,
> didn't pay much attention to it.
>
>     However, arriving home last night, I'm amazed it is all RED!  Is this
> normal?  I noticed that some of the Jalapenos were turning a deep-dark
> green, and the sides were splitting (or cracking..).  The reason is I
> expected them to grow much larger.  Looking back at the package it reads
> "Jalapeno M", which I guess is medium?  (Full size is 2 - 3 inches.)
>
>     I think I'm leaving them on the plant too long, but why are they
turning
> red!??  I've never seen such a thing.  Are they still good? Bad? Better?
>
>     (Also, this is my first year growing... so if this is normal or
> something, please take this question with a grain of salt!)
>
>     Thanks!
>         -=J

Jason,
Red just means that your Jalapenos are ripe.  Unfortunately they seem to
lose some of their crispness when they turn completely red.  Try harvesting
them when they are turning red yet still green.  They will be crisp, hot and
sweet all at the same time.  I believe that they are most often harvested
green.  My son likes them better green, but I like them better half and
half.

Warmest Regards,
Akiva