Re: [CH] white pepper

WILLIAM PITTS (william_pitts@hotmail.com)
Sat, 14 Aug 1999 10:03:58 PDT

I was in the resturant business for 25 years and owned a small chain of
Mexican Resturants at one time.  I use white pepper in a lot of dishes.  It
adds flavor without heat and causes the mouth to water.

My 14 year old son, who wants to be a chef, cooked a dish the other night
with 6 different chiles in it  and it came out bland.  He couldn't figure
out why.  I asked if he had used any white pepper.  The fact that he had
cooked all the chiles and had left out the white pepper made it bland.

A cajun cook taught me how to use spices.  He said to add 1/2 of the spices
while the dish was cooking at regular intervals and the other half close to
the end.  The part added during cooking looses it fire but adds flavor.  The
part added at the end puts the kick in.

I also add black pepper and a touch of cayenne too.