Re: [CH] Toxic Everything

Calvin Donaghey (gdonaghey@bitstreet.com)
Fri, 20 Aug 1999 22:47:32 -0500

Gareth-
Sorry-
No blame placed on anyone, just a comment on studies in general.  I'm not sure
who wrote all the messages attached to this message, 'cause the post below is
not mine, either.  I think that was someone else's response.  My disgust is not
with any of the ChileHeads, but with people who publish poorly designed studies
using inadequate test numbers with dubious interpretations.  Almost every
conceivable compound is carcinogenic /mutagenic/destructive when exposed to
living tissue in methods, conditions and concentrations sufficient to cause
serious, constant irritation or to prevent the normal metabolic functions.
Making mice ingest the human equivalent of a thousand habaneros a day is bound
to have a serious effect on those mice (ie., their basic nutrition is likely
being neglected if they're eating that much cap, and they're probably wandering
around in an endorphin-induced fog.), but do the results of such a test
indicate any relevance to the human male chilehead who has a reasonable diet,
takes his vitamins, keeps his stress levels down, kisses his wife and kids
every day, exercises regularly and ingests 10 habs a day?  Probably not.
I apologise if I gave the impression I was stomping on anyone on this List-- I
was not.
BTW- I wonder if any of those thousand-habs-a-day test mice positions are
open?????
Calvin