[CH] Re: [smoking chiles]

Rich McCormack (macknet@pacbell.net)
Tue, 24 Aug 1999 08:18:06 -0700

Madison Daily wrote:

> Hello. I have been wondering if anyone has tried using products like
> Wright's Natural Hickory Seasoning to "smoke" their peppers? I have a
> dehydrator and was thinking of brushing the peppers with a diluted solution
> on this stuff before drying them. ...

I don't think you'd be happy with the results.

> ...  Any comments or suggestions?  I don't
> have a real smoker. Or a lot of time.

You don't need a real smoker, you can use a charcoal grill.  Mound
some briquets in the center and light in the usual manner.  When the
briquets are covered with white ash, spread them out around the
perimeter of the grill and place a foil pan about 1/2 full of water
in the center.  Sprinkle some moistened smoke chips (damp, not
dripping wet) on the hot coals.  Place the grill in place and set
high as possible above the coals.  Place the chiles (previously
washed and slit down one side from the shoulder to the tip) on
a suitable holder such as BBQ wok, wire mesh or other surface that
will allow smoke to flow through but keep the chiles from falling
through.  Place on the grill, close the lid (open lid vents a bit
to allow some air to draft through the BBQ) and smoke away.
Replenish the charcoal, smoke chips and water in the pan as
necessary to keep a low heat, smokey fire going.  After a few hours
(5 or 6 should do it), the chiles should begin to shrivel and turn
a deep reddish-brown color.  Finish the partially dried chiles off
to a leathery-dry consistency in an oven set to lowest possible heat
or in a dehydrator.

--
Rich McCormack (Poway, CA) macknet@pacbell.net

Who is Rich McCormack?  Find out at...