[CH] OT: Wine/mushroom sauce - mild! [Was] Becoming a CH

Kristofer Blennow (kristofer@blennow.se)
Tue, 14 Sep 1999 06:29:14 +0200

On 4 Mar 99, tucker wrote:

> Mmmm. I think this would be a real winner at my house. Any way we
> could get a recipe???

> > at last learned how to make a professional
> > wine/mushroom gravy for salmon.

Squeezing my brain before I forget it...

"Lidö" Wine/Mushroom Fish Sauce (serves 6)

3 dl Dry white wine
150 g Champignons
1 Fish bouillon cube
1 Yellow onion
1 Garlic clove
1/2 dl "Gräslök" (note below)
1/2 dl Parsley
1 tablespoon Wheat flour
100g Roomtemp butter
1.5 dl Full fat cream

All ingredients should be finely chopped. Mix wine, champignons,
onion, garlic and the bouillon cube and reduce over medium heat to
about half the volume. Mix 1 tablespoon flour with 1 tablespoon
butter to an even paste and whip it into the reduced fond. This far
the sauce can be prepared, and wait for the rest of the meal.

Just before serving, reheat the fond, take it off the heat, and add
100g butter, whipping well. Add the parsley and the "gräslök". Whip
the cream very lightly (it should get a "soda pop" feel, not "whipped
cream"), and ever so gently turn it into the sauce. At this stage, do
not boil the sauce eccessively, just heat it up quickly and serve. If
needed taste it off with some salt and lemon pepper (was not needed
when we did it).

Note - I don't know the English name for "gräslök". It is an onion
plant, that grows like grass, thin (2-3 mm) green tubular straws,
with a mild, aromatic taste. Traditional summer spice here in Sweden,
we always keep it in our gardens for our pickled herring lunches etc.

Thoughts: Will test to finish it off with some tarragon, and a bit of
champagne to fizz it up...

Enjoy and improvise,
Kristofer