Re: [CH] sigs

Rex E. Overmyer (rexwing@ctaz.com)
Fri, 17 Sep 1999 06:58:43 -0700

Marc Norman wrote:

> as a digest reader I'll second suggestions to cut down on the sigs. It's
> gotten pretty bad lately and they really do detract from the content of the
> list. Attached is a collection of sigs and other superfluous material
> culled from digest V6 #57, and this was a relatively mild day. Apologies to
> other digest readers for adding to the noise.
>
> cheers and chiles y'all

Marc I can understand how you might find long, cutesy, sigs a pain.  However, a
signature that is short, but gives information that can help the reader
understand who the writer is, and where he is coming from can be helpful.
My signature has always been:
Rex Overmyer
rexwing@ctaz.com
Fort Mohave, AZ
 "In The Great American Desert!"

The first line just lets folks know who I am.

I guess I could drop the second line.  I started using it way back when I first
got on line with Prodigy, about six years ago.  I guess now days it may not be
necessary, so I will drop it.

Listing the state I live in, lets the reader know that my chili questions might
not be like someone in say, Ft Wayne, IN.

The,         "In The Great American Desert”, gives farther information about my
saturation.  For an example, my weather is way hot!  Our daytime highs have
averaged around 105 since Labor Day!  In addition, that’s just the average.
Therefore, it’s helpful to let readers know a little about where I’m coming
from.  At one time, I thought of sending my daily high temperature with each
post.  <Grin>

 If all that makes sense, I will keep using my old signature ( I will cut out the
e-mail address).  If most members still think it’s a pain, I will just drop it
Rex