Re: [CH] More Science Junk

danceswithcarp (dcombs@bloomington.in.us)
Fri, 17 Sep 1999 09:00:41 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 16 Sep 1999, yoda wrote:

> Now that is a real odd-ball.  Mercury and Mercury ores ( Cinnabar and
> the like) are found in igneous rock formations, while coal is almost
> always in sedimentary formations.  Sulfur is the usual bad boy
> contaminate of coal ( along with some other rather ugly carbon and
> carbon nitrogen chain formations ) but not metallics.
> Where is the Mercury coming from??

Sedimentary rocks are the result of igneous rocks eroding, so as they
erode they carry minute amounts of everything in them with them.  coal
plants burn so much sedimentary material that these minute amounts
accumulate in the plume area downwind.

But to a chile theme' the south half of Indiana is under an "open burning"
emergency and also you can't toss cigarettes out of cars due to the
drought and tinder-box conditions.  My chile plants are HUGE, but have
very little fruit.  The habs and savinas I do have are bigger than
golf balls but smaller than tennis balls.   The jalapenos bit the dust a
couple of weeks back, the cayenne types are in perpetual shock, but the
datils and broad-leafs are alive and blooming like crazy in the cool
weather we're having; we just don't have any water so the blossoms just
drop right off--less than an inch since July 4.

How dry is it?  The other day a dog whizzed in my yard and before I could
chase them off two duckhunters had set up their blind and decoys and were
quacking in strays.

carp