[CH] chiles in the north

margaret lauterbach (mlaute@micron.net)
Sat, 18 Sep 1999 09:16:58 -0600

Date: Fri, 17 Sep 1999 19:46:51 -0700
From: "Doug Goldenberg" <dgoldenberg@sprintmail.com>
Subject: [CH] Looking for northern chile for rellenos

I'm wondering what would be the best variety of chile for roasted green
chile rellenos, for growing in a relatively cool climate (Oregon).  The
Anaheims common in the supermarkets are too mild.  I tried growing poblanos,
but they don't do so well up here.  Looking at New Mexican types - Barker's
Hot sounds maybe good, also maybe Sandia.  Chimayo is supposed to grow well
in cooler climates, but is thin skinned and more for dried red chile.  I
won't even try Big Jim - it seems the bigger the chile the less hardy the
plant.  But the De Agua from Oaxaca - that has smaller chiles supposed to be
good for rellenos.... could be the ticket?

Any suggestions?  Anyone done a grow-out?

Big Jims grow nicely in Boise, Doug, but they're no hotter than so-called
Anaheims, IMO. Sandia is pretty hot and grows to about the right size and
shape. You say "the bigter the chile the less hardy the plant," but I grew
some Anchos Rancheros this year that are eye-popping. They're about 4inches
across at the top and taper 8 to 10 inches to the end. Beautiful, beautiful
chiles. Plants bear pretty well, too. However, rocotos have never borne
fruit for me, and this year is no different. Started plants indoors very
early, too. That's not quite as bad as the Guam Boonies plant that is now
two years old, and not a chile on it. Abundant with flowers, but I can
smell the first frost coming. Got the Anchos Rancheros seeds from Tomato
Growers' Supply, and it's a hybrid, BTW.

Byron's "drops" of chlorine are not going to disinfect pots. The usual
mixture is 1:10 chlorine to water, and a ten minute soak. "Pepper Diseases:
A Field Guide" published by Asian Vegetable Research and Development
Center, says a 2 hour soak in a 10% solution of TSP will clear up tomato
mosaic and tobamoviruses from seeds. Old-time members of chile-heads have
used chlorine to cure fungal disease in chile plants that anyone else would
have tossed out to die. I don't know their ratios, but some of these
subscribers are wizards at that. I'm not talking about Byron, who has
poisoned his part of the world then wants people to identify his mutations.
Margaret L