Re: [CH] Chili

Dave Drum (xrated@cityscape.net)
Sun, 19 Sep 1999 18:03:21 -0500

> Chet Bacon wrote:

> > try this
> > http://neptune.netimages.com/~chile/recipe/

> > green,
> > there is a texas chilli there you should be able to adapt
> > as fir the black beans.. I sometimes use canned black beans..

> *Which* chili recipe!  There's SCADS!  GREAT cooking site, thanks!
> Many, many things there I wanna try/adapt/mess with!  Making me drool!

Here is one of mine that is a good starting point for experimenting. I
use my own chilli mix... but Gebhardt's, Mexene or Chilli Man will
work pretty well. Ray's Chilli owner says he is bringing out a line of
chilli mix as soon as he finds a spice company to mix and package to
his recipe. Apparently it has different requirements from using spices
to can chilli.

As noted - this recipe starts extra mild as a base line in deference
to the non chile heads for whom I made it. Add heat or chipotles to
suit yourself. Black or pinto beans will work - add them AFTER the
chilli is cooked.

MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.06

      Title: Alabama Picnic Chilli
 Categories: Chilli, Tested, Beef, Udd
      Yield: 10 servings

      5 lb Coarse-ground beef
      1 lg Onion, diced fairly fine
    1/2 c  Green bell pepper, diced
      2 tb Beef base
      1 tb Cocoa (Nestle or Hershey)
      5 ts Powdered garlic granules
      1 ts Ground cumin
     48 oz Can tomato juice
      5 tb Plus 3 ts chilli powder
    1/2 ts Fresh black pepper

  Combine the beef base, tomato juice, chopped veggies, cocoa and 4
  tespoons of powdered garlic in a dutch oven over a low (simmer)
flame.

  Divide the hamburger into three more-or-less equal batches and brown
  it in a separate skillet. Add 1 teaspoon per batch of chilli powder.
  When browned and crumbled drain excess fat and add to dutch oven.
  Repeat until all ground beef is in the chilli pot. Add the black
  pepper to the chilli pot.

  Stir in 1 tablespoon per pound of meat of the chilli powder (5 Tb
for
  this batch). Cover pot and let simmer, stirring once in a while.
When
  the onions and peppers are cooked (about 1 1/2 hr) taste the pot.
You
  will probably find that you'll need to add the remaining tablespoon
  of garlic powder and the teaspoon of ground cumin. You may also want
  to add an additional tablespoon of chilli powder at this time. Trust
  me on the garlic and cumin. It adds the final kick. Neysa tasted
  before and after and could not believe how much difference it made.
  Simmer for an additional 10 to 15 minutes and serve.

  For those desiring a hotter product add cayenne until your lips turn
  numb and your sinuses drain if you like. I made this batch
extra-mild
  in deference to picnic attendees who don't handle heat real well.
  Sadly, Maya Houston thought it was still too hot after she tasted a
  spoonful. &^(=

  MM Format and receipe by Dave Drum - 18 August 98
  FROM: Uncle Dirty Dave's Kitchen

MMMMM

ENJOY!!!
--
Uncle Dirty Dave's Kitchens
Home of Yaaaah Hoooo Aaahhh HOT Sauce & Hardin Cider