Re: [CH] Mucadines and Ketchup

ken (kljones@eagnet.com)
Mon, 20 Sep 1999 14:36:13 -0400

saundrah@mindspring.com wrote:

> In answer to two emails, one about what are muscadines and both about the
> ketchup recipe. First muscadines, I consider them to be a wild type grape.
> They grow wild here in Alabama. They are usually found growing in trees in
> the woods and they are dark purple. Anyone that knows more, jump in here.
>
>  Now about the ketchup recipe, if you'd call it one. As I stated earlier,
> this is my first shot at making ketchup. I looked for a recipe that was for
> a hot ketchup and found none. So I took 4 or 5 regular recipes and took
> ingredients from them until it looked like what I might want. I know your
> supposed to write these things down, so that when you happen on the perfect
> mixture, then you can repeat it. But I didn't, and anyways it ain't perfect
> yet. But from memory (I'm in trouble now) here's what I did, or maybe close
> to it. I cut up and cored 3/4 dishpan of tomatoes, to this I added two big
> chopped onions, two quart bags of previously smoked various hot peppers,
> mostly habaneros (remove bags), a quart bag of various sweet peppers,  and 4
> cloves of garlic. I cooked all this until the tomatoes and onions were done.
> Then I put it through a food mill, to remove the tomato and pepper skins and
> seeds. I returned it to the stove and added about 1 cup vinegar, 1/2 cup
> sugar, some salt, black pepper, paprika, a couple tablespoons dry mustard,
> and 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon. I saw the cinnamon in most of the recipes and
> decided "what the hell" and threw it in. I can't say that I'd add it the
> next time though. After this cooked slowly for an eternity, I gave up and
> added some tomato paste to thicken it up. Then I put it in jars and
> processed it, saving part of a jar to try out. It's pretty decent for a
> first try, but I'm still looking for a tried and true hot ketchup recipe. I
> guess Stonewall Chilepepper Company's Mesquite Smoked Jalapeno Ketchup
> spoiled me. Saundra
>
> yes, yes tell us  how... sounds soooo good.. yum
> recipes please    Chet
>
> What are muscadines??  I've always wanted to make ketchup (good for
> french fries but also as an ingredient in Chinese sauces).  Would you
> share you recipe???   Constance Allen

Grapes are a little OT, but since someone asked I'll respond.  I have
some of the dark purple Muscadines growing wild on my property.  They
taste very similar to Concord grapes.  There are also several varieties
of Muscadines which are cultivated here in Georgia.  They are all quite
tasty, but have rather thick skins.  The bronze Muscadines are the
largest grapes I've seen.
                                        - Ken