Re: [CH] Chili with Flexible Heat

Jonathan T. Smillie (jsmillie@tickets.com)
Tue, 21 Sep 1999 09:13:00 -0500

At 07:33 AM 9/21/99 +0200, Kristofer Blennow wrote:
>I am thinking of having a mini-hotluck at work, comprising only non-
>CH:s...
>
>Has anyone experimented with "dual heat chili"?

Being about the only serious CH in my family, I routinely have to adjust
heat when cooking for the group. One solution is powdered chile, served
alongside for people to use to their heart's (and tongue's) content. I did
this a couple of Christmases ago, when I made a batch of white chili for a
Christmas Eve potluck, and had great success with a blend of habanero and
chipotle powders. Of course, you still have the people like my
brother-in-law, who don't quite know what they're getting themselves in
for, and use a LITTLE too much... then of course there's my older sister,
who tasted the unadulterated chili (which had nothing stronger than black
pepper in it, and swore it was STILL too hot.)

Bottom line: if you seriously think that most of these people do not have
much of a heat tolerance, make your chili with a baseline heat and provide
condiments to allow the adventurous to jack it up.

As to accompaniments: grated cheese and onions for sprinkling on top; I
also like to have good bread on hand. Do NOT put spaghetti in your chili
(unless you're from Cincinnati).

Jonathan