Re: [CH] Datil identification

danceswithcarp (dcombs@bloomington.in.us)
Wed, 6 Oct 1999 17:50:58 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: Alex Silbajoris <72163.1353@compuserve.com>

> I have to admit to being confused by now on just what is a datil.  I
> thought one of my plants was, until I saw the ones Jim called datil.

Jim's datil fruits don't look like my datils either, but they sure taste
like them.   His plants looked like they were of the hab family, and mine do
too.  My fruit is elongated and sort of habbish looking but with a much
smaller circumference,  and they are very, very yellow.  I can't remember
what seeds from what company I sprouted for mine--shepherd's maybe?-- but
when you see them you say, "Hmmmm, that's a datil."

Right perzactly next to them are a couple of plants from Jim's grab bag and
they look like his datils, and I broke one open this evening and they smell
like datils.  His are just slightly less bright yellow than the ones I
sprouted and are slightly shorter and less pointed towards the end (Mine
have a habbish point).

I think one thing we all should have learned from Jim's benevolence is that
with the explosion of the chile seed market there are going to be all sorts
of hybrids and crossovers and we may get to a point where no seed is exactly
true to it's forebears.   When I dehydrate them, I'll dehydrate them all
together and if one sticks out then I'll let us all know.

carpo