[CH] ICS in Vegas

Dave Drum (xrated@cityscape.net)
Fri, 08 Oct 1999 08:14:13 -0500

pepperdean wrote:

> We're getting ready to leave town tomorrow for Las Vegas to cook in the
> World Chili Championship but we'll be back at the start of the week.  Maybe
> we could get together.  One thing for sure, I thought the hottest wings were
> at Teakwoods in Chandler, AZ, BUT they may be hotter in Havre de Grace, MD
> at the  Coakley's Pub.  Almost embarrassed myself.  I was gonna' suck the
> sauce off - not a good idea.  Havre de Grace is just minutes from Aberdeen.
>
> BTW, anyone who is around Vegas this weekend, the International Chili
> Society is having a big event downtown at the Fremont Street Experience.
> Saturday will be the Last Chance Regional and the World Semi-Finals.  Sunday
> will be the World Championship for red chili, green chili, and salsa.  If
> you're in the area, stop by and say hello. I'll be cooking at the booth for
> the Hampton Regional, which I won to qualify.  I'll be doing salsa and red
> chili.  In fact I'm headed out back to pick some nice fresh serranos for the
> salsa, now.

<BRAG MODE ON> Be sure to note at the cook-off that 12 of the 100
cooks in the World Championship are Illinois cooks. Of those 12, over
half are classed as some sort of Master Cook (qualified for the finals
five or more times). Illinois cooks have won the finals several times.
And one (from right here in Springpuddle, Chillinois) is the only
person to win both the CASI and ICS titles... Joe DeFrates, the Chilli
Man. <BRAG MODE OFF>

If you are passing near to Central Illinois on your way back from the
Finals in Vegas you are invited to cook in the Central States Regional
(a qualifier for the Y2K Championships in Vegas) on Saturday, October
16. Should be an interesting cook-off since all the participants in
the Vegas festivities who are within hailing distance will be there
trying to qualify for next year. I have never failed to make the final
table at that cook-off in the time I have been cooking there. But, it
was always late in the year and much of the top-line cooks had already
won a qualifier and were ineligible to cook in this one. This year
they'll all be there and hungry. If I can make the final table in that
crowd I'll have to wear a garbage can for a hat, my head will be so
swelled up.

ENJOY!!!
--
Uncle Dirty Dave's Kitchens
Home of Yaaaah Hoooo Aaahhh HOT Sauce & Hardin Cider