[CH] TERMINATOR TERMINATED

Dave Drum (xrated@cityscape.net)
Fri, 08 Oct 1999 08:15:36 -0500

"David C. Yoshiba" wrote:

> On Tuesday this week, Dave Drum wrote that:
>
>    Just heard on NPR's "Morning Edition" that
>    Monsanto has decided not to market their GM
>    Terminator seed technology. That's what they
>    announced- - the reason given being "too much
>    opposition".
>
>    What it means to me, cynic that I am, is that
>    they will find a back-door scheme to make
>    money with the death seeds. They are, after
>    all, a money machine corporation.
>
> He is spot on correct. Monsanto is not a Mom and Pop operation. According to
> Yahoo, among the companies listed as subsidiaries are Ortho, Dekalb,
> NutraSweet Kelco, and Searle. Which of these would make a suitable partner
> for transfering the death seed research group? The Monsanto label doesn't
> appear on products of any of these companies (as far as I'm aware anyway).
> What other company could be quitely set up? Monsanto also appears to have

I'd suggest DeKalb... which is one of the largest agricultural seed
companies in the world. It has two divisions - DeKalb Ag Research and
DeKalb Genetics (that I know of). I used to run a rural, small town
weekly newspaper. DeKalb was one of our best sources of advertising
revenue. I remember being somewhat surprised when DeKalb and Pfizer
merged and the DeKalb name subsumed the Pfizer label. Having been away
from the newspaper business for a few years I was unaware of the
Monsanto - DeKalb connection. But, it doesn't surprise me. And DeKalb
would be the perfect foil for Monsanto to continue the Terminator
project. After all, who could mistrust a company which has a winged
ear of maize as its logo????     <wry grin>

ENJOY!!!
--
Uncle Dirty Dave's Kitchens
Home of Yaaaah Hoooo Aaahhh HOT Sauce & Hardin Cider