Re: [CH] Tomato Sauce??

Dave Drum (xrated@cityscape.net)
Sat, 16 Oct 1999 19:44:30 -0500

Ron Hill wrote:

> Hi CHs over the pond,
> Can you give a bit of advice - I have been sent a pack of D.L. Jardine's
> Texas Chile works. The instructions on the pack (I do follow instructions
> the first time!)
> call for an 8 oz can of tomato sauce to be added..
> What do you mean when you say tomato sauce? Here in the UK it means what you
> call tomato ketchup, but I have a feeling that is not what is needed here.

> If ever there were two nations divided by a common language......!

American tomato preparations come as "sauce", "paste", and "puree". I
just checked a can of Hunt's Tomato Sauce. The ingredient label says
only "tomatoes" No salt, chemicals, preservatives, etc. listed.

Tomato sauce is about the consistency of a medium gravy. Tomato paste
is somewhat thicker and can be thinned to more-or-less tomato sauce
consistency with the addition of an equal volume of water. Tomato
puree, as you may have guessed, is as stiff as a life sentence in
Newgate Prison. It requires at least 2X (or more) volume of water to
thin to sauce consistency.

I have noted that the thicker preparations tend to get bitter with the
longer cooking needed for reduction to thickerr consistency. This can
be countered by adding a bit of sugar.

ENJOY!!!
--
Uncle Dirty Dave's Kitchens
Home of Yaaaah Hoooo Aaahhh HOT Sauce & Hardin Cider