RE:[CH] Ornamental Chiles

Law, Doug (Law@mail.andros.com)
Mon, 25 Oct 1999 14:41:08 -0700

>Date: Mon, 25 Oct 1999 05:57:15 -0500
>From: "Luke Van Santen" <Luke.VanSanten@dot.state.mn.us>
>Subject: [CH] Ornamental Chiles
>
>All -
>
>I recently had someone tell me ornamental chiles are not edible. While I do
not agree, is
>there any reason to not eat them?

Because they are pretty and you want to look at them??

Seriously though, I asked the florist who delivered an ornamental chilie
plant to me this exact question.  She said that any fruit that were on the
plant that was there at the florists probably was covered with insecticides
that were persistent and NASTY when ingested.  Nothing wrong with the plant
or fruit per see, just how they were handled.

Now if you grew them yourself, you know what if anything you used on them.
But generally if it wasn't grown to be eaten and it was grown commercially,
don't eat it.

Eat Hot.
Think Hot.
Love Hot.