Re: [CH] London & Paris Hot Spots

David Smith (david@dwsmith.demon.co.uk)
Mon, 1 Nov 1999 17:15:55 +0000

As you can see I am about a week behind in reading my digests. Sorry to
be so slow in replying.

Mary-Anne wrote :

>RE: David (Curry House)
>will want to explore and experiment with new to us hot spots in the
>London area

and Sarah echoed the request. Tony then recomended my Central London
guide (cheers, Tony)

>For London, the following url should be useful :-
>http://www.curryhouse.co.uk/guide/centlond.htm

The restaurants in my guide are recommended by visitors to my Web
site. Many entries also appear in a book called The Good Curry
Guide which you can pick up at most book shops. It's an excellent
guide to curry restaurants throughout the country  (no affiliation
etc etc).

Tim also made some good suggestions including ...

>INDIAN
>Many thousands to choose from - best bet is to go to Southall or
>Wembley (both about 6 -8 miles from central London. Many excellent
>Punjabi cafes and restaurants.

and I'd wholeheartedly agree with that if you want good food at a
reasonable price (the top Central London restaurants can be very
expensive). There are many restaurants, basic cafes and snack bars
to choose from. I visit Southall regularly on buying trips and, apart
from all the good eating places, it is a wonderful place for spicy
food fans. The majority of the local population are Asian, mainly
Sikh and Punjabi, and you will find every kind of spices, chutneys,
breads, snacks, vegetables, cooking pots etc etc.

I'd choose the "Brilliant" which is an old established restaurant.
It's at 72-74 Western Road, Southall, Middlesex, telephone 0181 574
1928. It won the "Best Punjabi" award in the 1998 Good Curry Guide.
It's busy and bustling especially later on in the evening. Not the
place to go for a quiet, romantic night out!

Or you could always come out my way on the way to/from Heathrow
Airport. Take junction 12 off the M4 motorway and head for a place
called Theale. There you will find a fine restaurant called the Cafe
Blue Cobra. It has 2 chefs and 2 menus. One Bengali and one Thai. If
you like you can mix and match the menus which sounds odd but you can
come up with some surprisingly good combinations. They have a Web
site at ...

http://www.bluecobra.com

.. if anyone fancies a look.

Hope you have a great time in the UK.

cheers,

David

The Curry House
http://www.curryhouse.co.uk/
recipes, FAQ and articles - all about curry