Re: [CH] Hot garlic and peppers

Richard A. Williams (rhialto@aa.net)
Mon, 01 Nov 1999 23:29:53 -0800

"D. Gibson" wrote:

> Does anyone out there use hot garlic in their hot
> pepper sauce?  I've identified a few varieties of
> garlic with some heat.  If this is off topic I won't
> mention it again.

Definitely "on-topic."

> Rocambole         - quite hot; a pungent climax
> Metechi               - raw fiery taste that explodes
> Duganskij            - raw, earthy; heat dissipates
> fast
> Killarney Red      - heat is longlasting
> German Red       -  hot and zingy
> Brown Tempest  - raw cloves have a fiery flavor
> Asian Tempest   - flavor fiery but a mellow finish
> Mucdi                   - rich, hot, lingering
> Chinese Purple   - instant heat explodes in mouth
> Asian Rose         - initially devoid of heat, builds
> slowly
>                                 and then rages hot
>
> I've seen that quite a few pepper recipes with garlic
> in them, and it seems like a great opportunity to
> incorporate some heat with these hot garlics to go with
> the peppers.  From surfing the web, I've found that
> garlic heat usually dissipates after 30-40 seconds.
> Does anyone have experience using these
> hot garlics?
>
> Lazlo

I have no experience with hot garlic, but would surely love to get some!
Where do you get these varieties? Sources, man, sources! All I can get
around here is standard supermarket stuff, bred for long shelf life, not
flavor.

Richard (drooling at the thought of a new kind of hot...)