Re: [CH] Carrots

Dave Drum (xrated@cityscape.net)
Tue, 09 Nov 1999 08:20:29 -0600

Robert Dunbar wrote:

> I've been told that adding minced carrots to a hot recipe will help to
> nutralize the burn from hot peppers.  Anyone know if that's true, and
> how to determine how much?  I am a Scoutmaster, and I would like to know
> because some of my younger scouts don't care for the hot.

It's true for hot sauces. I dunno about regular dishes. I do know I
did a crockpot roast with 3 1/2 lb of boneless chuck, 2 lb peeled and
cuber (1 in cubes) spuds and 1 lb peeled and sectioned carrots. Dump a
packet of cheap onion soup/dip mix over the top and slice in half two
habs. Cook on low overnight. Do not add liquid - the stuff will make
its own gravy.

The result was too hot for my house mate (imagine that <GGG> the
walking appetite didn't eat any) so me and the cat had a ball. It
*was* spicy and my lips *did* get numb. But, it was good.

End result - I dunno how much the carrots moderated the habs (they
were from my own plants and pretty inflammatory.

Recommendation - get to your nearest Eagle Stupormarkup (from your
email you are in the Springpuddle, Chillinois area) and grab a bottle
of Yucatan Sunshine (around $1.85) to start out your non-CH boy
sprouts. It isn't too hot, is flavourful and will plant their feet
firmly on the slippery slope of Chile Headedness.  <GGG>

ENJOY!!!
--
Uncle Dirty Dave's Kitchens
Home of Yaaaah Hoooo Aaahhh HOT Sauce & Hardin Cider