[CH] Toned down ethnic dishes

=Mark (mstevens@exit109.com)
Tue, 16 Nov 1999 15:45:53 -0500

At 01:47 PM 11/16/99 EST, Tiki456@aol.com wrote:
>In a message dated 11/16/1999 9:43:36 AM Eastern Standard Time,
>mstevens@exit109.com writes:
>
>> Stick to some of the areas Thai or Indonesian restaurants.
>

>Speaking of which, I just found a very good Thai restaurant in Old Town
Alex.
>VA, Siam 815. The food that was supposed to be spicy WAS! Yippee! But, it
was
>not only spicy it was deliciously seasoned and prepared. I'm sure I'm not
>speaking just for myself that I dislike intensely discovering that
>traditionally spicy dishes have been toned down for general consumption.
Argh!

This is a creeping problem with many regional and ethnic restaurants.  They
feel compelled to "dumb down" the spicing so as not to drive off the heat
challenged customer.  It seems that the average american diner considers
gouldens brown mustard the epitome of spicyness.  This was driven home in a
business trip to New Orleans.  In half a dozen places I had to resort to
spicing up the gumbo/jambalaya with the Tabasco provided at the table as
their initial heat was comparable to Wendy's chili.

The only place I found satisfying heat was a Thai Shrimp Salad with Crispy
Rice Noodles & Lemongrass Dressing at a contemporary American restaurant
called Bayona on the fringe of the French Quarter, and this is not even a
Cajun/Creole place!

Check their menu at: http://www.exit109.com/~mstevens/bayona.html

                    =Mark "Runs With Scissors" Stevens

                @ http://www.exit109.com/~mstevens @