RE: [CH] is it possible to extract vinegar

Kristofer Blennow (kristofer@blennow.se)
Sat, 20 Nov 1999 22:51:01 +0100

On 20 Nov 99, Richard W. Stevens wrote:

> As another note suggested you could use sodium bicarbonate or sodium
> hydroxide, although I'm not sure if the resulting sodium acetate has
> any inherent flavor and the sodium bicarbonate will leave you with a
> carbonated solution.  In addition, the sodium hydroxide is fairly
> reactive and may interact with other hot sauce components.  It tends
> to break any fat-like compounds into soap, among other things.

Maybe I should clarify that my suggestion was a joke. Too dry irony
maybe...  ;)  Would not touch food with NaOH myself, and even soda
would probably just destroy the whole thing, as pointed out.

Only way I have found to reduce an acid taste is to add cream. But
you will of course get a totally different taste as well.

Sorry if I was unclear,
Kristofer