Re: [CH] rice cookers

Charles Demas (demas@sunspot.tiac.net)
Wed, 24 Nov 1999 02:58:37 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 24 Nov 1999 rain@wwbbs.otherside.com wrote:

Nice to see you posting again Rain.

> ->I own and use a rice cooker at home all of the time.  It makes perfect
> ->rice everytime and is so easy to use.
> Gee, how could anything be easier than stovetop rice, especially by the
> Chinese method?

Well, I manage to screw it up periodically, or forget it and crisp it to
the bottom of my pot.

Perfect rice *EVERY* time is something I cannot do, and anyone who claims
they can is smoking some heavy stuff.  :-)

> To me too, a bit, though I can understand it for *extremely* busy
> people.

I'm not extremely busy, but perfect rice with no attention is an
attractive idea.

> > rice cooking task to be given to the children to do since it cannot
> > be screwed up.
>
> True, but what kid old enough to cook at all can't learn to cook
> rice on the stovetop?  It ain't exactly rocket science. :)  And do
> you really want 'em thinking they have to have a big fancy appliance
> for every simple little process?  A lot of well-off kids these days
> don't ever actually learn how to cook--they only know how to run
> machines that cook for them.  And that's okay, I suppose...as
> long as they never become _nouveau pauvre_ and are suddenly stuck
> with actual pots and pans. :)

Part of it is to get the kids out from underfoot.  The cooker can be
located far *away* from the stove.  A 5 year old shouldn't be cooking
on a stove, IMO.  Further, it removes the rice task from the stove,
so cooking rice doesn't tie up the stove.

After all this discussion, I think I'll get one as a Christmas present
for myself.  :-)

Chuck Demas
Needham, Mass.

  Eat Healthy    |   _ _   | Nothing would be done at all,
  Stay Fit       |   @ @   | If a man waited to do it so well,
  Die Anyway     |    v    | That no one could find fault with it.
  demas@tiac.net |  \___/  | http://www.tiac.net/users/demas