RE: [CH] rice cookers

BURTON NEIL ALEXANDER, ITID (ATTBNA1@hq.psa.com.sg)
Wed, 24 Nov 1999 15:56:07 +0800

->Gee, how could anything be easier than stovetop rice, especially by the
->Chinese method?

I guess ask the majority of Chinese people living outside of PRChina - in
Singapore, Honk Kong, Macao, and Taiwan *most* Chinese families use a rice
cooker - it's easier and tastes just as good as any other method. Plus most
homes (in Singapore for example) only have two or three gas rings at home,
so freeing up even one is worth it.

Neil
-----Original Message-----
From: rain@wwbbs.otherside.com [mailto:rain@wwbbs.otherside.com]
Sent: Wednesday, November 24, 1999 2:56 PM
To: chile-heads-digest@globalgarden.com
Subject: [CH] rice cookers

->I own and use a rice cooker at home all of the time.  It makes perfect
->rice everytime and is so easy to use.
Gee, how could anything be easier than stovetop rice, especially by the
Chinese method?
> > >   I love rice and have looked at the cookers several times but the
> > > concept always ends seeming silly.
To me too, a bit, though I can understand it for *extremely* busy
people.
> rice cooking task to be given to the children to do since it cannot
> be screwed up.
True, but what kid old enough to cook at all can't learn to cook
rice on the stovetop?  It ain't exactly rocket science. :)  And do
you really want 'em thinking they have to have a big fancy appliance
for every simple little process?  A lot of well-off kids these days
don't ever actually learn how to cook--they only know how to run
machines that cook for them.  And that's okay, I suppose...as
long as they never become _nouveau pauvre_ and are suddenly stuck
with actual pots and pans. :)
Rain
@@@@
\\\\\