Re: [CH] hiya

tucker (tucker@ticon.net)
Sun, 28 Nov 1999 17:16:44 -0600

Doug Goldenberg wrote:

> I did OK drying peppers, cut in half, in the oven on it's lowest setting,
> 140 F degrees.
> Not quite as nice as dehydrator gizmo, I expect, but worked fine.
>
> > GarryMass@aol.com wrote:
> >
> > > how do you dry peppers without buying anything
> > > expensive :( ?

  Agreed! Most thinner fleshed pods dry well (at least in my limited
experience) hung outdoors or near an open window; although around here you
don't really want your windows open around the time of the last harvest. I
have had decent success drying in our electric oven (although I understand
gas is recommended) set at it's lowest setting (170 degrees). I place some
oven mitts between door and oven to allow venting, and place the halved and
seeded chiles on cheesecloth covered oven racks. It does take a few hours
depending on pod thickness, but I understand dehydrators can take quite some
time themselves; and I'll bet my oven holds a few more pods than any
dehydrator Wal-mart carries.

-E.-