Re: [CH] Rocotto

Calvin Donaghey (gdonaghey@bitstreet.com)
Mon, 29 Nov 1999 09:08:51 -0600

Rob-
Rocotos are one of my favorites, second only to Aji Amarillo, but are time
consuming to grow.  Rocotos (Manzanos) are not usually available in the grocery
store, at least around here.  The heat here in Texas kills the plants.  I get
mine from a Mexican Produce importer.  Haven't bought any lately because the
price has tripled in the last 6 months.  There is no recipe using peppers that
ripe Rocotos don't fit with.  One of my favorites is grilled:
Split stem to stern and remove all black seeds. (Leave stems on) Stuff with
pre-mixed grated Mozz. cheese/season salt/minced onion/ garlic powder.  Wrap
with lean smoked bacon strips held on with toothpicks to hold the pods closed.
Grill until bacon is cooked all around or bake at 375 degrees until bacon is
fully cooked.  It's hard to imagine anything much better.  Perhaps because of
the different ways people respond to the chemistry, some folks find Rocotos
hotter than Habs.  I must admit I find them extremely hot, much hotter than the
generally posted Scoville ratings.
Calvin