Re: [CH] YKYACHI...

Frank Andrew Stevenson (frank@funcom.com)
Sat, 11 Dec 1999 13:33:42 +0100 (CET)

On Fri, 10 Dec 1999, Kristofer Blennow wrote:

> On 10 Dec 99, Luke Van Santen wrote:
>
> > ...you've made gravlaks (Swedish salted salmon) with hab powder.
>
> Not to be picky, but it is spelled "gravlax"... hmmm, but the idea is
> excellent...

We do have Gravlaks ( note spelling ) in Norway to. To merely descibe it
as salted salmon is beeing too kind. The amount of salt is such that it
will not prevent decomposition, so the fish is left for some time in the
frisge or other cool place to ferment / decompose in a controlled manner.

This process can be taken quite far, ond will then result in a
overpowering odour from the fish ( esp. trout ) - a process which is know
to have also resulten in botulism. Not to take any credits from the swedes
though, they have their surstromning ( dotted o ), which according to
roumours can have weapons grade poignancy.... Perhaps Kristoffer would\
care to elaborate on this...

On the subject of spicing up traditional local dishes my favourite is
yellow hab powder on faarikaal ( fohr-i-kohl ) a pot of lamb and cabbage
liberaly pepperd, with a flavour that is greatly enhanced by habs.

  frank