Re: [CH] Informal Chile Cookoff

Dave Drum (xrated@cityscape.net)
Thu, 30 Dec 1999 09:10:13 -0600

Craig Rubin wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> A group I belong to is having an informal Chile Cookoff next month as a
> fundraiser and gettogether.  There should be between 20 and 40 people
> attending.  Depending on event promotion it could be more.   The Chile will
> be prepared off site.  I would like your suggestions on how to set it up and
> run the cookoff.  Some of the items that I can think of at this time are:
>
> Chile categories, thinking of 3.
> Prerequisites and or conditions for Chile preparation.
> Judges - how many and criteria for them to use?  What do they do before
> going
>                to next Chile?
> What to have in addition to Chile as main course and before meal?
>
> I will be bringing over 40 hot sauces to event and look forward to seeing
> steam rising from a few heads.

Go to the ICS and CASI web sites and download their rules. They put on a
lot of cook-offs (and I cook in more than a few of them). You are not
bound by anyone else's rules (being a non-sanctioned cook-off). Most of
the rules are pretty common sense and aimed at making things fair for
all.

Try to have one judge per cook. ICS awards 3 points for a first place
vote, 2 for second and one for third. Tally points and awards prizes.
All cook-offs I have judged we have been told to pick the chilli that we
would choose if we could only eat on recipe for the resto of our lives.

Most cook-offs supply grapes, cubes of mild cheddar, unsalted crackers
and club soda to cleanse the palate between chilli tastes. Some supply
beer - but, it's handy to have a beer sponsor - chilli judges can
consume a lot of suds.

Good luck

ENJOY!!!
--------
UNCLE DIRTY DAVE'S KITCHEN --
Home of Yaaaaa Hooooo Aaahhh!!! HOT SAUCE and Hardin Cider