Re: [CH] Own Sauces to Restaurants

Calvin Donaghey (gdonaghey@bitstreet.com)
Sat, 08 Jan 2000 21:33:50 -0600

green56 wrote:

> Well, 'Heads...
>
> I've read here for I don't know *how* long, how so many of you'd gather
> up your sauces/powders and head out to whatever restaurant you were
> planning on going to.  Once there, you'd doctor-up your food.
>
> I've always thought, "How BALLSY!"  Man, I could never do THAT!"
>

> Well, I've now joined the ranks of those seeking little vials, shakers,
> whatevers so that a stash may be carried at all times.  Tho, I'm not
> above brown bagging it again!  :)
>
> Sorry so long.  It took alot of explaining.
>
> green

Green-
This is a subject I like to see discussed!!  Yes, bringing your own goodies
is generally OK.  Like you, I usually have a good time doing it.
CHs have an opportunity to make outstanding impressions on cooks, owners,
and wait staff.
I have taken my own shakers, sauces, and pods into eating establishments for
years, and never once have I had any indication the folks were upset about
it.  Usually just the opposite- they are quite interested in whatever I
bring in, especially after we get to know each other.  I occasionally offer
them a taste, a sample or a pepper to eat.  I do have some general rules I
go by, though:

1. I tip the wait staff, I am polite and friendly, and I start out by saying
something like:  "I'm trying out some sauces, but I need some really good
Chinese food to give them an adequate test.  What do you recommend?" Or;
   " I don't mind paying extra for extra salsa when it's this good.  Please
bring me another bowl and don't be afraid to put it on the ticket."  If they
bring me extra sauce, extra chiles, or extra anything, I make sure I eat
every drop of it.  I also try very hard to clean my plate.

2. I  <NEVER> tell the cook or wait staff I can't get cafes to make my food
hot enough, even though it is generally true.  Instead, I tell them that I
could never ask a public eating place to cater to my "out of the ordinary
eating habits", so I bring some of my own.  There may be eating places,
cooks, and staff where this would still be found offensive, but I guess I
never eat in those places.

3. If the food is good, I tell them so.  I love good spicey food, and
usually try to establish a rapport with a cook or waitperson who also likes
it.  Several places I frequent see me coming and whip up some extra hot
sauce or something just to watch me eat it.  The Pizza Hut in a little town
where I often work lets me slice my own pods to cook into the Pizza.
MMMmmmmm.  In return, I have given the cook and/or manager a home-grown pod
to try (at their request), with the proper precautions.

We eat chiles for lots of reasons.  We add them to food because they are
complimentary and enjoyable.  Few things set off a flavorful dish like
flavorful heat.  Bringing our own chiles/sauce/powder/spices can be turned
into a positive thing for the eating establishment, staff & everybody.  I do
it almost every time I eat out.........   :-)

Calvin