Re: [CH] sauce - Sambal Oelek Story

Robin (robinm40@earthlink.net)
Mon, 10 Jan 2000 01:16:15 -0500

At 12:55 AM 01/10/2000 -0500, Andy wrote:
>This summer my wife and I had a brief, but lovely stay at
>The Cloister in Sea Island GA.   (http://www.cloister.com)
>
>The food was excellent.  The menu varied, and one night one selection was
>labeled "Hot", naturally I tried it.  It wasn't quite CH hot -- but it was
>delicious with a rich chile flavor and a mild but satisfying heat.
>
>I sent my compliments to the chief, and inquired about the ingredient
used.  He
>came to my table and after a brief discussion he presented me with a brand new
>bottle of:
>
>    ***  "Sambal Oelek / Ground Fresh Chile Paste" ***
>
>from Huy Fong Foods, Inc.   http://www.huyfong.com
>
>-- it too became a staple with me.  I've recently noticed that they do have a
>nice sample pack available, and plan to try their other related products.
>(Usual disclaimers.)
>
>Andy.

I have a jar of Sambal Oeleck, made by Yeo's  Y H S (Singapore) PTE LTD, in
Singapore.  I got it at a WONDERFUL Asian market in NW NJ.  I don't
actually know what town it was (I was visiting a friend and she was
driving), but it's on Rt. 46, not all that far from Milton.  Definitely
someplace that's worth a visit!

Robin
Alexandria, VA