[CH] [Fwd: Thai Carrot Soup]

Doug Irvine (dougandmarie@home.com)
Mon, 24 Jan 2000 20:27:59 -0800

--------------1C982265B4B20A98D429D8F7

Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2000 18:07:03 -0800
From: Doug Irvine <dougandmarie@home.com>
To: "chile-heads@globalgarden.com" <chile-heads@globalgarden.com>
Subject: Thai Carrot Soup

A couple of years ago, I downloaded a recipe for Thai Carrot soup. Never
did get around to doing it, until I found it again today and figured
that I could use the basic recipe, and improve on it....so it has a few
things there that were not called for in the original recipe.
1    tbls oil
1    whole baseball sized onion, thinly sliced
1    1" cube of peeled garlic, chopped
2    garlic cloves peeled and chopped
1    lb of carrots, scrubbed, and sliced thinly
4    cups of chicken broth, good home made stuff
1    cup....or more of coconut milk
1/4 cup cilantro chopped fine
As much of Calvin's as you wish, or any other good chile powder, got yer
own?
Heat the oil in a good sized pot, and add the onion, ginger, garlic and
the sliced carrots and cook stirring until they have become
fragrant....add the coconut milk and about two cups of the chicken
stock, bring to a boil and simmer for about half an hour. Add the chile
powder(Calvin's) and then remove the cooked vegetables to a blender, or
use an outboard motor type and blend until smooth. Add the remaining
chicken stock to the pot and continue  cooking for another few minutes.
Taste it and season to your liking, then add the cilantro, and 1
teaspoon of dried red chile such as pequin, or dried red pepper, of
whatever type you have...I used a dried red tabasco....serve this with
what you wish, Marie made baking powder biscuits(tea biscuits)
Enjoy....Doug in BC

--------------1C982265B4B20A98D429D8F7--