Re: [CH] When is fermented sauce done?

Kristofer Blennow (kristofer@blennow.se)
Wed, 2 Feb 2000 07:47:31 +0100

On 1 Feb 00, George Nelson wrote:

> In general, fermentations start slow, gather speed and then attenuate
> as the organisms consume most of the fermentables.  It is easy to tell
> with a kim-chee or with a beer because of the rapid evolution of gas
> during the third or fourth day.  By the fifth or sixth day the slowing
> down is obvious, though in the case of beer, the gas-formation
> potential is still rather large.

It is true that after a week or so, lactic acid bacteria fermentation
does not produce much gas anymore. This is because other bacteria,
that do not produce gas, take over and continue the fermentation when
the pH gets low.

It is a bit different from alcohol fermentation, though, where the
fermentation continues until the alcohol content kills the yeast, or
all the sugar is gone. Beer brewing is of course a bit risky, since
the alcohol content often is low, and you do (of course...) want some
gas in the finished product...

Lactic acid bacteria are a bit different, there are so many species,
and some of them seem to survive quite low pH, and still produce some
gas. You also have less control over what species you get in there,
since you rely on whatever is present in the vegetables. It is not
easy to buy these cultures. The issue with Huy Fong's spurting bottle
is a good example of this unpredictability.

Some experts have told me that it is very hard to kill these lactic
acid bacteria without heating. So maybe I should just pack in beer or
champagne bottles and lable it "Sparkling Hot Chile Sauce"...   and a
warning label "Point away from eyes when opening"....    ;)  Or maybe
add alcohol enough to kill every organism...  "100 Proof Genuine
Bourbon Habanero Sauce"...  Hmmm, guess that would be a sure hit...

Kristofer

Kristofer Blennow   Non Sive Sive, Sed Et Et
Physical location: [close to] Stockholm, Sweden
WWW location:       http://www.blennow.se/