Re: [CH] When is fermented sauce done?

Andrew & Trish Hood (hood@iweb.net.au)
Thu, 3 Feb 2000 09:39:36 +1030

----- Original Message -----
From: Kristofer Blennow <kristofer@blennow.se>
To: <chile-heads@globalgarden.com>
Sent: Wednesday, February 02, 2000 5:17 PM
Subject: Re: [CH] When is fermented sauce done?
snip
> It is a bit different from alcohol fermentation, though, where the
> fermentation continues until the alcohol content kills the yeast, or
> all the sugar is gone. Beer brewing is of course a bit risky, since
> the alcohol content often is low, and you do (of course...) want some
> gas in the finished product...
snip
> So maybe I should just pack in beer or
> champagne bottles and lable it "Sparkling Hot Chile Sauce"...   and a
> warning label "Point away from eyes when opening"....    ;)  Or maybe
> add alcohol enough to kill every organism...  "100 Proof Genuine
> Bourbon Habanero Sauce"...  Hmmm, guess that would be a sure hit...
>
> Kristofer

Did something similar to this.  I brewed up a couple of batches of beer with
chillies added.

Got a lot of interesting reactions from people who tried it and it inspired
a couple of friends to take up homebrewing because they loved the taste so
much.  Even came up with the name "Thermal Runaway" for it (have one sip,
hot, have two sips to cool things down, hotter, have three sips to cool
things down, hotter still, etc).  We actually found that there was a level
of heat that each of us could tolerate and then you just stopped drinking
until your mouth cooled a bit. My wife liked it because she reckoned it
slowed my consumption down!

dream mode on:
I was also wondering if it would be possible to ferment the chillies
themselves, as in make a chilli wine, the reason being this could then be
distilled to make something like genuine chilli schnapps!
dream mode off:

Andrew Hood