Re: [CH] Spring done sprung, etc

Dave Drum (xrated@cityscape.net)
Wed, 23 Feb 2000 06:54:04 -0600

Deb deForest wrote:

> Dave Anderson wrote:
> <<Calgene is now owned by Monsanto and appears to be working on
> genetically modified Canola.>>

> But isn't Canola already genetically modified rapeseed?  Doesn't
> "Canola" mean "Canadian Oil Low Acid" or something like that since the
> modification was to lower the fatty acid content of rapeseed oil?

It's my understanding (from a farmer friend who grows rape seed in
Illinois) that rape seed is naturally low in fatty acids, etc. Their was
a lot of marketing (public) resistance to the product due to the name.
Even though the rape seed oil had long been used as a component of some
"vegetable" oils marketed in stores it was only identified (if then) in
the 2 point "legal eyestrain" type in an obscure place on the label.
Then the folks in Canadia came up with the Canola name and marketed it
as a  wonder oil and anti-cholesterol panacea. According to Ira (my guy
here in the Great American Outback) any "genetic engineering" done is by
hybridization and selective breeding.

ENJOY!!!
--------
UNCLE DIRTY DAVE'S KITCHEN --
Home of Yaaaaa Hooooo Aaahhh!!! HOT SAUCE and Hardin Cider